5 examples of God sightings at work
Sister Ann, our pastoral coordinator, begins weekly Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults sessions with the same question, “What were your God sightings during the past week?” When she first started asking this question, everyone’s eyes would begin to glaze over. But Sister Ann’s purpose in asking this question week after week is to tune us in to the many ways God appears and works in our lives every day. As the participants got the hang of thinking this way, the reported sightings increased each week. We report events that range from simply experiencing a beautiful day to being present at the death of a loved one. These “God sightings” are miracles that we can witness every day, if only we are spiritually attuned to them.
Since we spend so much time at work, paying attention to God sightings in the workplace can add greater peace and satisfaction to our lives in general.
5 examples of “God sightings” at work:
1. You connect with another person who is anxious to share her faith.
2. Somebody offers you encouragement when things aren’t going well.
3. You’re nervous about finishing some task on time, and just when you’re about to panic, someone steps up to help and it all comes together.
4. A co-worker has wronged you and you’re feeling anger and resentment. God is present when you offer love and forgiveness in response.
5. You were passed over for a promotion and your ego took a beating. God is present when you respond with humility.
God sightings frequently occur in painful events. Those can be the most difficult times to recognize them. Remember that God is with us as we endure our individual crosses; it’s up to us to trust that God’s guiding hand is in any situation. As Paul writes in his powerful letter to the Romans, “We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.” (Rom 8:28) God is working miracles every day in our lives; if we pay attention, we can see them all around us.